Introduction and such

This is my blog for Media channels & platforms. I wrote a bit about myself for this introduction.

TL;DR: Summer theatre, photographing and working at photo studio, some radio, graphic design, web design. From Joensuu to Tampere.

How did I get into the media studies?

I was always drawing, writing, reading, playing music as a kid, but I kind strayed away from that during teens.

Joined a professional summer theatre group Teatteri Traktori and took part in it for 5 years. First it was just fun activity for children and some additional spice to the show. Year after year, the responsibility grew and towards the final years it was a full-time job with an actual pay.

It was fun and I learned so much but I didn't particularly enjoy the acting part. I preferred working in the background and would do anything from working on the set, sawing (with a chainsaw), painting signs, directing traffic, selling tickets to operating smoke machines and much more.

At 15 I quit that and went to work in a photo shop/studio for another two summer vacations. I had photographed for local papers on occasion through my journalist parents. Really enjoyed my time there and we were in talks of regular contract throughout the year whenever possible - too bad the franchise was sold to Rajala - and they closed our small shop immediately as soon as the deal went through behind all of our backs. Around this time we also had a short literature radio show slot on a provincial station Radio Rex with a friend of mine.

I thought I'd go to the upper secondary school because I lowkey enjoyed studying. I changed my mind last minute and applied for graphic design in a vocational school instead. Went there for three years, really took liking in it and graduated.

Took a year off to work freelance on graphic design, mostly on web sites. I still wanted to continue my studies again so I applied to the nearby university for media and got in.

After half a year I was really bored of it, because it was mostly for video projects. I met a lot of great people ther and my friends made me stay for the rest of the year. Full year in and I didn't even get to touch Photoshop or Illustrator. That's when I quit and went back working freelance.

I found about this TAMK media degree and it felt like just the right thing for me. So here we are.

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Narratives and Storytelling Methods in Secret of the Monkey Island

Burial: the elusive artist